About Philippe Park
A historically rich park acquired in 1948 and named after Count Odet Philippe, who introduced citrus culture to Florida.
The existing park, located in Safety Harbor, was part of the original Philippe plantation from which several citrus trees still remain. An Indian mound listed in the National Register of Historic Landmarks as the Safety Harbor Site is also located within the park.
Much of the 122-acre park is shaded by large oaks and other hardwood trees. The park offers picnicking, a view of Old Tampa Bay along 1 mile of shoreline, a boat launching facility, fishing, and play areas.
Who was Odet Philippe?
One of the more colorful figures in Pinellas County’s past, Odet Philippe was the first permanent, non-native settler on the Pinellas County peninsula, acquiring 160 acres of land in what is today Safety Harbor in 1842. He was a successful businessman who introduced cigar making and citrus to Tampa Bay. His descendents, including the McMullen and Booth families, are among the county’s most well known pioneer clans. Philippe was buried in the park – his former plantation – in 1869, but the exact location of the gravesite is not known.